Explore Irish Lake and Williams Lake
Irish Lake is a 20 acre lake located in the Municipality of Grey Highlands South of Markdale, Ontario. This non-motorized lake has approximately 50 cottages surrounding it. With a maximum depth of 20 feet, there are many types of fish in this lake such as Brook Trout, Rock Bass, Pumpkinseed, and Small Mouth Bass. Irish Lake is also one of the few lakes in Ontario that has been stocked with Rainbow Trout.
In 1881 Father P.J. Cassin, who was the first resident priest in the district, chose to build a retreat on Irish Lake. ďThe BrickĒ itís called locally, still stands today. In 1882 Sir John A. MacDonald then the Prime Minister of Canada attended a parish picnic that was held at Irish Lake. The early farmers in the Irish Lake district were Irish Catholics, which is possibly the origin of the name. There were also many Scotch Catholics that lived in the neighboring Glenelg Township which caused the normal rivalry between the Irish and Scottish.
Today, Irish Lake is a quiet, secluded spot for anyone looking for that place to get away from it all.
Williams Lake is a large 148 acre lake located in the Municipality of Chatsworth it has approximately 60 cottages surrounding it.
In the early 1900ís Williamís Lake was used for removing the Marl (unconsolidated sedimentary rock or soil consisting of clay and lime) that was used for making cement and a large boarding house had been built to accommodate 20-30 labourers. The operation at the time lowered the water level and the company had to drill several wells on nearby farms when the existing water supplies dried up.
In 1955 the idea of a yacht club was born when young people started to frequent the Lake and found a mutual interest in all things water sports. The first Regatta was held on June 23, 1956 with the proceeds going to the new Glendale Yacht Club. The funds raised were to help build a beach for swimming, boating, fishing, and water-skiing.
Today the lake is a recreational dream for retirees, and cottagers.